Friday, April 1, 2011

Sew It Together Sydney - A Craft Bloggers Day

Last Saturday I spent the day in a conference room at The Menzies with 50+ other craft bloggers.  It was a belated Xmas present from The Man, in lieu of a quilting course (since I have already learnt enough to get me going from online tutorials).  I haven't been part of the crafting circle for very long so I wasn't sure if I was going to be a fraud at this event since the only people I knew there were Christy & Rachel who are professionals (literally).  In fact I was quite surprised to meet people from various different skill levels. 

The highlight of the day was a Wedge Ruler workshop with Kathy Doughty from Material Obsession.  What a bundle of energy and a fountain of so much knowledge.  Since being a self-taught quilter I learnt some valuable things from Kathy, like you actually don't need to prewash your fabrics (it help's cutting straight since the fabric has a nice starchiness).   One less step in this busy household is very welcomed.  I am going to visit Material Obsession the next time I have "Day Release".  Now, on to Show & Tell...

The Showbag (AKA the freebies):

From L-R: Chasing Cottons, Clares Place, Pink Chalk Studios, Clares Craftroom,
Ric Rac, The Red Thread, Handmade Canberra, Earthgirl Fabrics

Fabrics Clockwise From top: RetroMummy, Saffron Craig and
the big generous bundle from Hawthorne Threads
 



The Name Tag Swap


I had a go at free-motion embroidery & raw edge applique

Hand-embroidered by Peta


The Group Swap

Here's my five items - sunglasses cases

View of the inside


This is what I got back! Aren't they awesome!!
Clockwise from L: Sewing pouch, Covered Notebook+IOU, Project Bag,
Toadstool Pin Cushion, Crochet Hook Roll (maker TBA)

A big thank you to all the Sponsors and Sheridan.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! Thanks for stopping by.